The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages the informed and active participation of citizens in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy. The goal of the League of Women Voters is to empower citizens to shape better communities worldwide.
The League of Women Voters of the United States:
- acts after study and member agreement to achieve solutions in the public interest on key community issues at all government levels;
- builds citizen participation in the democratic process; and
- engages communities in promoting positive solutions to public policy issues through education and advocacy.
The League of Women Voters Education Fund is a nonpartisan public policy educational organization, which:
- builds citizen participation in the democratic process;
- studies key community issues at all government levels in an unbiased manner; and
- enables people to seek positive solutions to public policy issues through education and conflict management.
We believe in:
- respect for individuals;
- the value of diversity;
- the empowerment of the grassroots, both within the League and in communities; and
- the power to collective decision making for the common good.
- act with trust, integrity and professionalism;
- operate in an open and effective manner to meet the needs of those we serve, both members and the public; and
- take the initiative in seeking diversity in membership. acknowledge our heritage as we seek our path to the future.
- We are a nonpartisan political membership organization.
- We believe that grassroots initiatives and consensus building are the strengths of our organization.
- We believe that our organizational models the principles of good governance.
- We consider well before taking action and prepare well before beginning to act.
- We believe that citizenship requires knowledge, as well as the ability and will to act.
- We believe that the responsibility of good government rests on the shoulders of its citizens.
- We believe that the rights of citizens at home and abroad are interdependent.